Jobs | Internships | Volunteer
POSITION TITLE: Communications Officer
REPORTS TO: Director of Development and Communications
Connecticut Community Foundation is looking for a creative, resourceful and strategic communicator to share the stories of people and organizations working to improve lives and foster thriving communities throughout our region.
As Communications Officer, you will develop and implement an integrative communications strategy that positions Connecticut Community Foundation as a philanthropic and grantmaking leader in the Greater Waterbury and the Litchfield Hills region and increases the visibility of the Foundation to diverse audiences. You will plan and execute the Foundation’s external communications to advance Connecticut Community Foundation’s organizational goals and further the efforts of its grantees and donors.
What You Will Do:
As Communications Officer, you will report to the Director of Development and Communications, but work closely with all personnel to convey the broad range of the Foundation’s work. Specifically, you will be responsible for the following:
- Crafting and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy in coordination with Foundation staff.
- Managing the Foundation’s website, social media accounts and broadcast email system, regularly creating compelling and accurate content and building the Foundation’s online community with a consistent voice.
- Writing content for all print and electronic publications and materials, including annual report, newsletters, press releases, social media, annual appeals, videos, advertisements and invitations.
- Coordinating the work of vendors (such as graphic designer, web developers, printer) to manage major projects through completion.
- Conducting regular public relations outreach, including researching media outlets, building and strengthening relationships with the media, keeping abreast of philanthropic news trends, updating lists of media contacts, pitching story ideas, drafting and sending press releases, acting as point person for all media contact and monitoring media coverage.
- In coordination with Foundation staff, developing updated communications collateral, including brochures, website, social media posts and advertisements for Give Local Greater Waterbury and Litchfield Hills, the Foundation’s annual 36-hour online giving event, and conducting all media outreach for the event.
- Ensuring that the Foundation staff and board are familiar with key messages and branding and style guidelines and are communicating them consistently and accurately.
- Providing communications support for the Foundation’s events, including development of print and/or electronic invitations and coordinating photo shoots or radio broadcasts.
- Maintaining a communication calendar to anticipate and meet deadlines for communications collateral.
- Tracking communications metrics to regularly assess and report about the effectiveness of communications strategies.
- Collaborating with Foundation staff to identify opportunities to communicate with the public about the Foundation’s initiatives, grants, services, and other activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who We Are Looking For
We’re looking for a team player with:
- A commitment to the community;
- A passion for telling stories;
- A willingness to learn new skills;
- A preference for working collaboratively to achieve shared goals and enhance programs and services;
- A belief in the value that diversity, equity and inclusion brings to the workplace;
- A positive and flexible attitude; and
- A commitment to excellence and continuous improvement.
The Experience We Are Looking For
Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum of five years of experience in marketing, communications or public relations
- Passion for the mission of Connecticut Community Foundation
- Strong strategic planning and project management experience
- Ability to self-manage and work independently, but also collaboratively
The Knowledge and Skills You’ll Need
- Excellent writing and editing skills, particularly for storytelling
- Demonstrated ability to implement public relations strategies
- Substantial experience with social media, email marketing and content marketing strategies
- Proficiency with content management and broadcast email systems (such as Constant Contact)
- Proficiency in WordPress and basic photo editing and graphic design strongly preferred
- Experience with Google Analytics and search engine optimization
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment while maintaining close attention to detail
- Fundraising experience and knowledge of community philanthropy and local nonprofit organizations a plus
- Demonstrated qualities of integrity and discretion
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, open and collaborative environment and
- A love of Greater Waterbury and the Litchfield Hills and a strong desire to help build rewarding lives and thriving communities throughout our 21-town region.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and benefits
- A team-oriented work environment
- Opportunities to build skills, make creative contributions and develop professionally.
To apply, send a cover letter and résumé by July 14, 2017 to Barbara Ryer, Director of Finance and Administration, at email@example.com.
If you are interested in an internship at the Foundation, contact:
- Ellen Carter (for internships in grant programs or community leadership): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barbara Ryer (for any other internships): email@example.com
Each year, several hundred volunteers helped their neighbors and supported their local communities by serving on the Foundation’s many committees. To learn about volunteer opportunities, contact Josh Carey at firstname.lastname@example.org.