Apply for College Scholarships
Over the years, our big-hearted donors have recognized the importance of a college education in helping residents of our region succeed in life. More than 130 donors have created funds that make it possible each year for Connecticut Community Foundation to award college scholarships to hundreds of students.
We are now one of the largest college scholarship providers in the Greater Waterbury and Litchfield Hills region and we invite you to apply.
Below are the categories of college scholarships awarded by the Foundation and the application process for each.
February 15 (11:59 p.m.) for students wishing to renew their scholarships for another year (including Leever Scholarships).
March 15 (11:59 p.m.) for new scholarship applicants.
September 1 for Naugatuck Valley Community College scholarships.
Please don’t wait until the last minute to submit your application in case technical issues or questions arise.
Applicants will be notified of scholarship award decisions by mid-to-late June.
Apply for a General College Scholarship
Most of the Foundation’s scholarships fall into this “general” category and the same application form can be used for all of these scholarships. To be eligible for most of these scholarships, students must reside in our 21-town area, possess a B- or higher cumulative academic average, and plan to attend an accredited college or university in the United States (as a new, returning or current college student). However, some scholarships may have unique eligibility criteria or exceptions, so please carefully review our complete list of general scholarships.
- View the list of our general scholarships and criteria for applying to each. The form is downloadable and usable as a worksheet to determine your eligibility for each scholarship before applying.
- Renewing your scholarship: If you have received a general scholarship from the Foundation in the past, re-apply by February 15.
- First-time applicants: If you have never received a general scholarship from the Foundation before, apply by March 15.
Apply for a Special College Scholarship
The Foundation awards a smaller number of “special scholarships” that have unique application criteria and review processes.
The special scholarships include awards from the Malcolm Baldrige School of Business at Post University, Connecticut Army National Guard (Del Greco Scholarship), Connecticut State Police Credit Union (Niedzial Scholarship), H. D. Segur Inc., Middlebury Lions Club, and Roxbury Volunteer Fire Department.
They also include support for students in agricultural studies (Harris Scholarship), women pursuing an artistic career (McMillen Scholarship), daughters of single working mothers in the Litchfield area (Nicoll Scholarship), Bridgewater students demonstrating exceptional community service (Persbacker Scholarship), and students attending medical school (Sullivan Scholarship).
- View the complete list of special scholarships and their eligibility criteria. The downloadable form can be used as a worksheet to determine your eligibility before you apply.
- Renewing your scholarship: If you have received a special scholarship from the Foundation in the past, re-apply by February 15.
- First-time applicants: If you never received a special scholarship from the Foundation before, apply by March 15.
Apply for Naugatuck Valley Community College Scholarship
The Foundation provides college scholarship funds directly to Naugatuck Valley Community College (NVCC), which the school then distributes to eligible students. If you are planning to attend NVCC this year, please apply directly to them for a scholarship using the NVCC Scholarship Application rather than the general scholarship application above. Apply here by September 1