POSITION TITLE: Communications Associate (30 hrs a wk/benefits included)
REPORTS TO: Director of Communications
Established in 1923, Connecticut Community Foundation was created by and for the people of Greater Waterbury and the Litchfield Hills. While serving this 21-town region, the Foundation provides leadership in addressing the community’s critical issues, strengthens local nonprofit organizations through grants and technical assistance programs, and works with individuals, families, nonprofit organizations and corporations to administer more than 500 charitable funds.
Connecticut Community Foundation is looking for a creative, resourceful, analytical and strategic communicator to work with the Foundation’s director of communications to implement marketing strategies, communications, and public relations activities for the Foundation. The communications department relates the Foundation’s value to the community in compelling ways across many channels and to many audiences, sharing the stories of people and organizations working to foster an equitable, inclusive, just and vibrant community in Greater Waterbury and the Litchfield Hills.
As communications associate, you will work closely with the director of communications to implement an integrative communications strategy that positions Connecticut Community Foundation as a philanthropic and grantmaking leader in the Greater Waterbury and Litchfield Hills region, and increases the visibility of the Foundation to diverse audiences. You will help to execute the Foundation’s external communications to advance its organizational goals and further the efforts of its grantees and donors.
The communications associate and director of communications play key roles in developing and executing the brand strategy and organizational messaging for the Foundation’s new strategic plan and upcoming 100th anniversary campaign, coordinating with staff, board and vendors.
What You Will Do:
As communications associate, you will report to the director of communications. You will also work closely with personnel across all departments to convey the broad range of the Foundation’s work.
Specifically, you will work with the director of communications in the following areas:
- In collaboration with other Foundation staff, draft and produce written content for all print and electronic publications and materials, including annual report, newsletters, press releases, social media, annual appeals, videos, advertisements and invitations.
- Conducting regular public relations outreach, including building relationships with the media, keeping abreast of philanthropic news trends, pitching story ideas, drafting and sending press releases, acting as point person for all media contact and monitoring media coverage.
- Helping to manage the Foundation’s website, social media accounts and broadcast email system, regularly creating compelling and accurate content and building the Foundation’s online community with a consistent voice. Interacting with community members, and reporting on success.
- Tracking and reporting on communications metrics to regularly assess and report about the effectiveness of communications strategies.
- Maintaining a communications calendar to anticipate and meet deadlines for communications.
- Collaborating with Foundation staff to identify opportunities to communicate with the public about the Foundation’s initiatives, grants, services, and other activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who We Are Looking For
We’re looking for a team player with:
- A commitment to the community;
- A passion for story-telling;
- Exceptional writing skills;
- A willingness to learn new skills;
- An eagerness to stay abreast of developments and trends in professional communications;
- The ability to work collaboratively to achieve shared goals and enhance programs and services;
- A belief in the value that diversity, equity and inclusion bring to the workplace;
- A positive and flexible attitude; and
- A commitment to excellence and continuous improvement.
The Experience We Are Looking For
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in public relations, communications, or marketing, preferably in a nonprofit environment
- Ability to self-manage and work independently, but also collaboratively
- Passion for the mission of Connecticut Community Foundation
The Knowledge and Skills You’ll Need
- Excellent writing and editing skills, particularly for storytelling
- Ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment while maintaining close attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to implement public relations strategies
- Substantial experience with social media, email marketing and content marketing strategies
- Proficiency in WordPress and email marketing systems
- Capacity to integrate communications efforts with other technologies and platforms
- Demonstrated qualities of integrity and discretion
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, open and collaborative environment
- Basic photo editing and graphic design (Photoshop and Canva) a plus
- Experience with Google Analytics a plus
- Donor communications experience and knowledge of community philanthropy and local nonprofit organizations a plus, and
- A love of Greater Waterbury and the Litchfield Hills and a strong desire to help build rewarding lives and thriving communities throughout our 21-town region.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Openness to a flexible schedule
- A team-oriented work environment
- Opportunities to build skills, make creative contributions and develop professionally.
To apply, send a cover letter, résumé, and writing sample to Barbara Ryer, director of finance and administration, at email@example.com.