Workshop: Engaging the “Younger Old”
July 16, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Please join us for our first program in the 2019 Engaging Aging Workshop Series
The ‘Younger Old’: Meeting Them Where They Are and Where They Want to Be Tuesday, July 16 9 a.m. to Noon Jewish Federation of Western Connecticut 444 Main Street North, Southbury (The location is one mile from I-84 with plenty of parking available)
How can aging professionals engage people in their 60s and 70s? How can senior centers, community centers, libraries and others select and package offerings to attract the ‘younger old’ audience? How can organizations capture some of the energy and talent of this cohort to benefit the community?
The workshop begins by exploring the developmental tasks of the 60s and 70s and how society’s expectations are different today than they were even a decade ago. We will examine ways to engage the younger old individual, considering their perspective and their expectations of aging services organizations. Using the senior center as an example, we look at common stereotypes and how we can create a new value proposition for a new audience. We also re-imagine volunteers as members of self-directed teams, trained facilitators and taking on other roles that go far beyond the traditional.
Donna Fedus, gerontologist and founder of Borrow My Glasses, is the trainer for this workshop. Dianne Stone, director of the Newington Senior and Disabled Center, will share her experiences and recommendations for revitalizing senior centers to engage the ‘younger old’.
Engaging Aging workshops:
- Combine new ideas, effective programs worth sharing and key concepts in gerontology.
- Are free and open to professionals working with older people and to gerontology students (Note: Programs can be attended individually or as a series.)
- Require advance registration
- Include breakfast beginning at 9:00 a.m. (program begins at 9:30 a.m.)
Pathways for Older Adults at Connecticut Community Foundation is pleased to present these workshops in partnership with:
- Donna Fedus, Gerontologist and Founder, Borrow My Glasses
- Jade Stolz, Executive Director, Jewish Federation of Western CT, Southbury
- Dianne Stone, Director, Newington Senior and Disabled Center
Questions? Contact Bilal Tajildeen at email@example.com at 203.753.1315, x103.