To cultivate charitable giving within the Black community, build capacity and financial sustainability of Black-led non-profits, and address the most pressing needs facing the Black community in Waterbury.
CIRCLING BACK TO AN AGE-OLD MODEL: WHY OUR GIVING MATTERS
For people of African descent – a population systematically denied wealth accumulation – collective giving has been instrumental to Black life for 400 years. Our giving carries cultural resonance and historical significance.
By joining the WBGC, through the power of cooperative giving, members pool our financial contributions in support of meaningful solutions that are for us, funded by us, and given to us. By giving, we:
• Leverage the gifts of many to support the objectives of the Circle
• Support Black-led initiatives in developing and sustaining solutions to economic inequities through education, resources, partnerships, and community/coalition building
• Model effective, equitable, and trust-based philanthropy by and for the Black community
• Organize our community to wield influence in traditional systems of power
• Foster community infrastructure-building
• Provide opportunity for peer learning, community building, and networking
• Share the joy of giving – together!
WANT TO JOIN THE WATERBURY BLACK GIVING CIRCLE?
$365, a recognition of supporting Black 365 days a year! Make a one-time contribution of $365 or a monthly contribution of only $30.42. Members make a contribution to the fund on a yearly basis. Membership runs from January 1 through December 31 of each year. You can join at any time. An annual minimum contribution of $365 is required to vote at the grantmaking meeting. Contributions are tax-deductible.
- Circle Member: An individual that has made their minimum, annual contribution to the Circle and identifies as Black/ African American. As a Circle member, you are invited to attend all WBGC activities, events, and to cast a vote at an annual meeting to decide how the circle’s pooled funds will be granted to local organizations
- Solidarity Member: If you do not identify as Black/ African American but would like to support the cause, you may contribute to the Waterbury Black Giving Circle.
The Waterbury Black Giving Circle proudly partners with Connecticut Community Foundation to manage this fund.